Exploring Delta’s SkyMiles Car Rental Offer: A Detailed Review
PointsCrowd is a community-supported platform. When you apply for a credit card, make an order, or otherwise interact with the advertisers through the links on this page we may earn an affiliate commission. This helps us maintain and develop the platform further at no cost to you.
Offer Ends: 02/29/2024
In a recent move to enhance travel rewards, Delta has introduced an intriguing offer for SkyMiles members. From January 17 to February 29, 2024, car rental, hotel, and vacation rental bookings made through www.travelextras-delta.com are eligible to earn Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs). This period of opportunity extends to travel dates up to May 31, 2024. However, a closer examination is necessary to determine the real value of this offer to frequent travelers.
Understanding MQD Earning with Delta Car Rental Partners
MQDs, pivotal in achieving Medallion Status, are now attainable through various bookings. For each US dollar spent on the base rate of car rentals, hotels, and vacation rentals, one MQD is earned. This rate excludes taxes, fees, gratuities, and other incidental charges. It’s important to note that any portion of the booking paid or reduced through miles, vouchers, or discount codes does not contribute to MQD accrual.
The scope of this offer includes a range of bookings but with specific conditions. For car rentals, the booking must be at a participating location with certain rate exclusions such as wholesale rates, corporate rates, and group discounts.
Offers With Earn Delta Miles: A Double Opportunity
In addition to MQDs, SkyMiles members can earn miles on their bookings. The standard offer includes earning 2 miles for every dollar spent on the base hotel rate. This is amplified for car rentals through specific partners, with varying mile accrual rates based on membership levels.
For example, general SkyMiles members earn 4 miles per qualifying dollar on Hertz reservations, while Diamond Medallions earn 8.
Key Considerations and Limitations
While the offer seems generous, there are notable limitations.
- Only bookings where the SkyMiles account name matches the name on the booking are eligible.
- Furthermore, miles and MQDs are not awarded for canceled, no-show, or unpaid reservations
- SkyMiles number must be provided at the time of booking.
It’s also crucial to understand that bonus miles earned do not count towards Million Miler Status, nor do they contribute to Medallion Qualification Miles.
Delta’s new MQD and mileage offer presents an appealing opportunity for SkyMiles members to earn additional rewards. However, the value of this offer is contingent on the specifics of each booking and the member’s ability to meet the outlined criteria. Careful planning and attention to the terms and conditions are essential to maximize the benefits of this offer.
What is Delta MQD?
- Purpose of MQDs: MQDs are used to determine your eligibility for Medallion Status within the SkyMiles program. Medallion Status offers various benefits to frequent flyers, such as complimentary upgrades, bonus miles on flights, priority check-in, and more.
- How MQDs Are Calculated: MQDs are calculated based on the fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on Delta flights, as well as on flights with Delta partners when the ticket is issued by Delta (i.e., the ticket number begins with '006'). Other ancillary charges like baggage fees and seat upgrades are not included in the MQD calculation.
- Relevance to Medallion Status: To achieve any level of Medallion Status (Silver, Gold, Platinum, or Diamond), you need to meet certain thresholds of both MQDs and either Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within a calendar year. MQDs thus form a crucial part of the criteria for achieving these elite statuses. Current information on obtaining Medallion Status in 2024 is here.
- MQDs from Partners: In certain promotions or offers, spending on car rentals, hotel stays, and other partner services can also count towards MQDs, as with the offer you mentioned earlier. This can be a valuable way to accumulate MQDs without flying.