IHG 80% Bonus Points Promotion: Should You Buy?
PointsCrowd is a community-supported platform. When you apply for a credit card, make an order, or otherwise interact with the advertisers through the links on this page we may earn an affiliate commission. This helps us maintain and develop the platform further at no cost to you.
IHG has introduced a promotional sale allowing IHG One Rewards members to purchase points with an 80% bonus until September 1, 2023. Under this promotion, members have the opportunity to buy a point for 0.56 US cents each, which is among the best rates historically offered by IHG for buying points.
- Members need to buy a minimum of 5,000 points to avail the 80% bonus.
- The maximum number of points that can be bought in this offer is 150,000.
- The bonus tiers are:
- 1,000–4,000 points: No bonus
- 5,000–10,000 points: 80% bonus (0.75¢ each)
- 11,000–25,000 points: 80% bonus (0.64¢ each)
- 26,000–150,000 points: 80% bonus (0.56¢ each)
- After purchasing, allow up to 72 hours for the points to reflect in the member’s account.
- These point purchases are not refundable.
Making the Most of Your Points
It’s crucial to understand that buying points without a bonus typically isn’t a great financial move. However, with this 80% bonus, the gap between the buying price and the redemption value narrows, making it potentially beneficial.
The value in buying points arises in two scenarios:
1. When topping off an account for a specific redemption.
2. When the cost of purchasing points for a redemption is less than the cash price of a product or service.
Moreover, holders of IHG One Rewards Premier, IHG One Rewards Traveler Credit Card or IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card enjoy a “fourth reward night free” benefit, offering even more savings.
Let’s take a look at an example
For a four-night stay at the InterContinental Hotels Residence Suites Dubai F.C, it costs around $1,045 if paid in cash. But by using 105,000 points (which would cost around $588 if bought during this promotion), one can save about $457.
For a four-night stay at the Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa if paid in cash
Per night stay at the Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa, subject to points
Use the loyalty program search to find the best options for redeeming points for hotel stays.
Here are some interesting variations:
- 4 nights on December 25, ’23 in InterContinental Hotels Singapore Robertson Quay (110 000 IHG Rewards Club points)
- 4 nights on January 14, ’24 in Kimpton Margot Sydney (102 000 IHG Rewards Club points)
- 4 nights on January 9, ’24 in Crowne Plaza London – Kings Cross (103 000 IHG Rewards Club points)
- 4 nights on April 14, ’24 in Crowne Plaza Sydney Coogee Beach (87 000 IHG Rewards Club points)
Since IHG point purchases are managed by Points.com and not IHG directly, the transactions won’t be categorized as travel or hotel expenses. Hence, it’s recommended to use credit cards that either have sign-up bonuses or provide perks with spending.
This 80% bonus has been presented by IHG multiple times in the past. Therefore, while it’s a significant promotion, it’s not a rare occurrence.
Alternative Methods to Earn IHG Points
Chase offers a range of co-branded IHG credit cards in the U.S., allowing you to gather bonus points and earn from regular expenditures:
- IHG One Rewards Traveler Credit Card: Secure 80,000 bonus points by making $2,000 worth of purchases within the initial three months. Additionally, benefit from up to $50 as IHG® credits for expenditures at IHG® Hotels and Resorts in the first year. This comes with no annual fee.
- IHG One Rewards Premier Credit Card: Attain 140,000 Bonus Points by spending $3,000 in the first three months. Also, you can avail up to $100 in IHG® statement credits for transactions at IHG® Hotels and Resorts during the initial year. An annual fee of $99 applies.
- IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card: Collect 140,000 Bonus Points by spending $3,000 in the first three months of account initiation. This card has an annual fee of $99.
If you can achieve a higher value from your redemption or find it cheaper to buy points instead of paying cash for a room, then purchasing points during this 80% bonus promotion from IHG can be worthwhile. Always compare the cost of buying the necessary points with the room’s cash price to ensure you’re getting the best deal.