Delta SkyMiles Medallion Status Match Challenge: Overview 2024
PointsCrowd is a community-supported platform. When you apply for a credit card, make an order, or otherwise interact with the advertisers through the links on this page we may earn an affiliate commission. This helps us maintain and develop the platform further at no cost to you.
In late 2023, Delta Air Lines revamped its loyalty program, introducing several changes. Today we’re talking about The SkyMiles Medallion Status Match Challenge, which offers travelers the opportunity to exchange their existing elite status with another airline for an equivalent status with Delta.
Understanding the SkyMiles Medallion Status Match Challenge
What is the Medallion Status Match Challenge?
Delta’s Medallion Status Match Challenge invites travelers with elite status on other airlines to switch to Delta. The program matches the equivalent Medallion Status for a complimentary three-month period. Participants also have the opportunity to extend their Medallion status until January 2026, subject to certain conditions.
Benefits of Switching to SkyMiles
Switching to SkyMiles offers several advantages:
- Perpetual miles and access to more than 1,000 destinations worldwide.
- Blackout-free travel on any Delta flight using miles.
- Accelerated mileage accumulation for various activities, especially when using the Delta SkyMiles® American Express card.
- Additional benefits for Medallion members, such as complimentary upgrades, baggage fee waivers, priority boarding, and privileged cabin seating.
For more information about the benefits of Delta statuses, click here
Eligibility and Participation Process
To be eligible for the Status Match Challenge, participants must:
- Not have received a similar status match or complimentary status from Delta in the past three years.
- Possess elite status with another airline, earned through that airline’s published requirements.
- Provide valid documentation proving their elite status.
- Be a SkyMiles member for at least 60 days prior to enrolling and have flown on at least one Delta flight in the last three years.
- Check eligibility and prepare necessary documentation.
- Submit a request for the Status Match Challenge, which begins within 24 hours of email confirmation.
Extending Medallion Status
To extend the complimentary Medallion Status beyond three months, participants must earn a specified amount of Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) from Delta flights within the three-month period.
The MQD requirements vary based on the Medallion tier:
- Silver: $1,250 MQDs
- Gold: $2,500 MQDs
- Platinum: $3,750 MQDs
The Status Match is now an annual opportunity, allowing members to enroll anytime within a specified year and, upon completion of the challenge, extend their status through the end of the next Medallion Year.
MQDs can be accrued by flying on flights marketed by Delta or its partner airlines, but fares in basic economy are excluded from MQD accumulation. Additionally, booking vacation packages through Delta Vacations is another way to accumulate MQDs. For those aiming to rapidly gain status, MQDs can be earned through purchases made with certain eligible Delta SkyMiles American Express Cards, including:
- The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card or the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business Card, which allow you to earn 1 MQD for every $20 spent.
- The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card or the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, offering 1 MQD for every $10 spent.
Please note: Starter Miles earned under the MQD Headstart program on these credit cards will not be counted towards the required Miles for the “Change of Status” promotion, even if the relevant card was purchased during the Offer Period.
Status Comparison Chart
Below is a table comparing Medallion levels to other airlines’ elite statuses to help you understand which Delta tier you may qualify for.
|Air Canada Aeroplan Status
|25K and 35K
|75K and Super Elite
|Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Status
|MVP Gold 75K and 100K
|All Nippon Airways Mileage Club Status
|American Airlines AAdvantage Status
Platinum Pro, Concierge Key
|Asiana Airlines Asiana Club Status
|British Airways Executive Club Status
|Copa Airlines ConnectMiles Status
|Japan Airlines Mileage Bank Fly On Status
|jetBlue TrueBlue Status
|Mosaic 2, 3 & 4
|Lufthansa Miles & More Status
HON Circle Members
|Platinum & Platinum One
|South African Airways Voyager Status
|Platinum, Lifetime Platinum
|Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
|United Airlines Mileage Plus Status
|Virgin Australia Velocity Status
* If you have status with an airline (excluding Delta airline partners) that is not listed above but meet the participation criteria, you can still submit your request to participate in the Status Match Challenge.
Delta’s 2024 Status Match Challenge offers a strategic opportunity for those holding elite status with other airlines. It not only allows for an easier transition to Delta’s Medallion status but also provides a pathway to enjoy the benefits associated with Delta. This challenge is particularly appealing for frequent travelers seeking new loyalty benefits or exploring what Delta has to offer in its loyalty program.