American Airlines AAdvantage Program Updates Overview for 2024
PointsCrowd is a community-supported platform. When you apply for a credit card, make an order, or otherwise interact with the advertisers through the links on this page we may earn an affiliate commission. This helps us maintain and develop the platform further at no cost to you.
American Airlines is introducing a series of updates to its AAdvantage program in 2024. This overview provides details on the upcoming changes, focusing on new benefits and modifications to existing ones. The information presented is factual, aiming to offer a clear understanding of what AAdvantage members can expect in the coming year.
How do you get AAdvantage Elite status? – The rules remain the same
The next elite cycle for American Airlines is scheduled from March 1, 2024, to February 28, 2025. In this recent announcement, the airline has stated that the elite status qualification thresholds will remain the same for this period.
To attain AAdvantage Elite status in 2024, the required number of Loyalty Points is as follows:
- For AAdvantage Gold status: 40,000 Loyalty Points
- For AAdvantage Platinum status: 75,000 Loyalty Points
- For AAdvantage Platinum Pro status: 125,000 Loyalty Points
- For AAdvantage Executive Platinum status: 200,000 Loyalty Points
Basic Economy Cancellation Changes
Starting January 2024, American Airlines will allow AAdvantage members to cancel non-refundable Basic Economy fare tickets under specific conditions. This option is available for domestic trips booked directly through American Airlines. However, it’s important to note that Basic Economy tickets booked through third parties are excluded from this offer.
Conditions for Cancellation:
- The trip must be domestic.
- Travel has not commenced.
- Booking is made directly through American Airlines.
Same-Day Standby for AAdvantage Membership
From March 1, 2024, AAdvantage members will have the exclusive ability to stand by for an earlier flight on the day of travel. This benefit is also extended to oneworld status members, active U.S. military, and Main Cabin Select customers.
Get acquainted with the Dynamic Pricing Introduced for American Airlines Same Day Confirmed Change Flights
Same-day American Airlines requirements:
- Flight departure and arrival airports must be the same as the original booking.
- The number of stops and airports for layovers must be identical.
- Flights must be operated by American Airlines or American Eagle carriers.
Additional Exclusive AAdvantage Benefits
Later in 2024, AAdvantage members will gain access to more exclusive travel benefits:
- Extended Trip Credit: Additional six months to use Trip Credit for online travel cancellations.
- Admirals Club One-Day Passes: Available for purchase only by AAdvantage members.
- Flagship Lounge Single Visit Passes: Access to premium lounge facilities.
- 24-hour Trip Hold: Option to hold flights free of charge for up to 24 hours.
These are in addition to existing benefits such as early boarding and exclusive vacation packages.
New Upgrade Benefits
Earn Miles on Upgrades
- Members can soon earn miles when paying with cash for upgrades to premium cabins.
Upgrade with Partner Airlines
- AAdvantage members will be able to use miles for upgrades with select airline partners starting in 2024.
- Systemwide upgrades can be requested online.
New Ways to Redeem and Get Rewarded
Loyalty Point Reward Choices
Beginning with the upcoming qualification year, commencing March 1, 2024, the option to select Loyalty Points as rewards for achieving AAdvantage status will be introduced. Specifically, the opportunity to opt for Loyalty Points will be available at designated levels.
- 15,000 level: 1,000 Loyalty Points
- 175,000 level: 5,000 Loyalty Points
- 250,000 level: 15,000 Loyalty Points (two choices available)
General Structure and Type of Benefits Available at Different Levels of American Airlines Loyalty Point Reward
- 15,000 level: Options like Group 5 boarding, priority privileges, seat coupons, or additional Loyalty Points.
- 60,000 level: Benefits like Avis Preferred Plus status and bonuses on spending with specific partners.
- 100,000 level: Avis Presidents Club status, with higher spending bonuses on select partnerships.
- 175,000 to 250,000 level: Choices range from upgrades, bonus miles, Admirals Club access, travel credits, charitable donations, and more, with the ability to gift status or select luxury items.
- 400,000+ level: Enhanced rewards, including systemwide upgrades, higher bonus miles, exclusive lounge access, and special experiences.
- 1 Million level and Beyond: Elite status gifts, significant mileage rebates, and premium experience discounts.
Enhance with Miles: Flagship First Dining
- Members reaching AAdvantage Platinum Pro status can redeem miles for Flagship First Dining passes.
Systemwide and Mileage Award Upgrades
- Members can sponsor a companion for the same upgrade type, sharing their priority level.
- Companions are not required to be AAdvantage members.
Upgrades are prioritized based on AAdvantage status, type of upgrade, and 12-month Rolling Loyalty Points. In cases of identical upgrade types and loyalty points, booking code and time/date of request are considered.
Booking Code Priority
For systemwide and mileage award upgrades:
- From Business to First: J, R, D, I, C
- From Main Cabin to the next class: W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T
The Rolling Loyalty Points value is updated daily, reflecting points earned in the last 12 months and from qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage Aviator MasterCard cards.
The updates to the AAdvantage program in 2024 are designed to enhance the travel experience for American Airlines’ loyalty members. With new options for flight flexibility, like basic economy cancellations and same-day standby, along with expanded benefits such as extended trip credit and exclusive lounge access, the program is set to offer more value to its members.
Additionally, the introduction of new upgrade and reward options, including the ability to earn miles on paid upgrades and the option to choose Loyalty Points as a reward, further enriches the program’s appeal. The prioritization of upgrade requests based on a combination of status, loyalty points, and booking codes ensures a fair and transparent process for members seeking enhanced travel experiences.
These changes underscore American Airlines’ commitment to providing its frequent flyers with more flexibility, comfort, and rewards, reinforcing the AAdvantage program as a key part of its customer service strategy.
What is American Airlines Companion in 2024?
The American Airlines Companion Certificate in 2024 is a benefit offered on several American Airlines credit cards.
- AAdvantage Aviator Red card
- AAdvantage Aviator Silver card (no longer open to new applicants)
- AAdvantage Aviator Business card (no longer open to new applicants)
- CitiBusiness Platinum Select card
This certificate allows the cardholder to purchase a companion ticket for $99 plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on the itinerary, for one round-trip companion ticket in economy domestic fare if an individual round-trip domestic ticket in Main Cabin fare is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines' Meeting Services (800-433-1790).
Cardholders must meet specific spending requirements set by their credit card agreement to be eligible for the Companion Certificate.
The Companion Certificate cannot be used to purchase tickets on oneworld member airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights.
In the spring of 2024, the benefit of an upgrade will become available (members can sponsor a companion for the same type of upgrade, sharing their priority level with them).